Monday, November 2, 2015

My Original Elf Sock


Oh the joy and satisfaction of watching wool turn from roving into strands of yarn as it passes through your hand and off your finger tips, but now comes “the what do I do with it” part. I’ve plied the individual strands and made yarn, however my confidence in that yarn has yet to be tested. What to knit becomes the question. Socks? No, I don’t think the yarn will hold up to the wear.  A scarf? No, I hardly wear them. A hat? Do I really have enough spun for that? Plus, what if it doesn’t hold up to knitting and unraveling as I make up my pattern. A compromise is planned. How about a miniature sock? No one wears it out and I have a keepsake of some of my first “quality” handspun yarn. There is a learning curve that must take place before you reach the “quality” stage; well at least there was for me. Ok, a mini sock is the plan, but since I have more yarn than needed I feel comfortable with designing my own, because even if the yarn doesn’t hold up to being ripped out I know I have more.
 
How proud I am of my little, useless product. It reminds me of an elf with its pointed toe. That cuff needs something...think...think...   Aha! I have it buttons. Off to raid my old shell and bone button jar. Finished! Satisfied and smiling inside and out, my first project with my own homespun is done.
 
May I present to you the very first of my Elf Socks.




                                                    




And it all started from the first few balls of "quality" yarn made and plied on my Jenkins Turkish Drop Spindles.







2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was testing to see if I had it set up right for people to comment. We deleted it because it was a odd testing comment that really didn't fit.

    ReplyDelete