Thursday, November 26, 2015

Globe Trotting Braintan Camera Bag

The need to protect my camera was what prompted the making of this bag. Deciding that I wanted something a little fancier than the regular poke style bags I had been using, I chose to work with contrasting colors of leather. Adding the laced edging to the opening of the bag was kind of an after thought, but I really learned to appreciate it later. The laced edge kept the opening stiffer and made the camera slip in easier. The abalone shells on the draw strings were from my small stash of abalone that my kids had drilled holes in with my pump drill. I was pleased with how it turned out and how perfectly it fit my camera, however it did not stay with me. 

Agreeing to help run an old high school friend back to the airport after her visit with family (Country folk, who don’t go to the city often, need moral support and an extra set of eyes to read signs.) meant that I would have to get up in the early hours of the morning because of the distance I live from both her and the airport. I asked my husband to set the alarm and trustingly went to sleep. I bolted awake for no apparent reason, looked at the clock and groaned. I was to meet her in ten minutes! This was not humanly possible. My alarm had not gone off! Praise God for His internal “alarm” that woke me up that day. I called them apologizing and reworking our routes so that I could meet them on the way.  My husband and I were rushing for the door with no thoughts or time to grab anything extra. Perfect timing at the meeting spot and I was off to the airport with them. Enjoying our ever shortening time together as she was headed to her home in another country and every one of us in the car living with the knowledge that her cancer had returned.


Upon arriving at the airport she smiled and whipped out this wonderful, unique gift for me. My heart swelled with her kindness and cheerfulness. I so wanted to give her something that was mine for her to keep as a reminder of our love even though we live worlds apart. Realizing that most of my “stuff” was left at home, I reached into my purse, slipped my camera out of it’s bag, and offered it to her. She refused saying, “That’s yours.” The battle was on. lol I won. (Being much more insistent than her) This little, leather bag now resides in another country as a link between two people whose friendship has endured both time and distance. (With no lack of leather, sewing skills, and ideas...the making of another camera bag is a new adventure to look forward to.)

Praise the Lord she is still battling on and I’ve had the privilege of seeing her again! Life with all of all of its ebbs and flows is most precious to those who have teetered on its edge.























                                                                         

No comments:

Post a Comment