Sunday, July 9, 2017

A Metamorphosis of a Knitting Project



Handspun Wool Knitted Slippers


It all started out after Christmas two years ago. Mom deserved a project for herself after making so many gifts. I dreamed of having a pair of spats or leg warmers that would classily cover up my too short pant leg syndrome caused by God blessing me with long legs.

Knitted leg warmers seemed like an easy project to work on while I waited for kids here and there so I chose my pattern   http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/mosey and hand-spun wool. Even though it was a well written pattern and fun to knit as I neared the end reality struck. I tried them on and low and behold I remember never liking leg warmers years ago. Unfortunately, I hadn't changed.

Wool Slipper


What to do now? Turning them into slippers sounded reasonable, But you have no pattern! Ah, I pulled out an old pair of knitted slippers that someone had given me years ago. I wore them out and saved them for a pattern. There are days seeing possibilities in junk pays off.



Black Welsh Wool Felted Sole




                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    As I knitted the foot part of the slipper I realized that I had no desire to pick up stitches and knit a sole. So again I pulled out something stashed away, a felted sample of Black Welsh wool. Thick, warm, and easy to cut out and sew on for the sole.


Felted Sole Sewn On



 A leather sole over the felted wool would make them last much longer, but life intervened so that throughout the winter the slippers were tested and worn. Very comfortable, toasty even, causing different family members to request their own pair or try to steal Mom's.

Sewing On the Bark Tan Sole


However the felted soles were showing wear so putting a bark tanned sole on them became a summer project for me. Why summer you might ask; because if I wait for winter they will find their way onto my feet long before they are at the top of my mending pile.

Hand-Spun Wool Slippers with Bark Tan Sole



Of course there is always a few things I would do different if I did this project again. However, the biggest thing I would change would be the color of my wool. Some days when I look down at the plain, dark brown wool slippers on my feet which are covered with bits and pieces of things I didn't even know were in my house let alone on my floor. I wonder if I am just wearing a new style of dust-mop. Could there be a market for these?

Looking Down at Happy Feet!
The silver stars make me smile and were a surprise found in my stash bought on a clearance sale in the distant past and then forgotten. The wooden beads were from something I took apart and saved. Only one thing left to do on them and that is to add some silver weighted beads to the ends of my fringe ties. These will have to be picked up whenever I get close to a bead shop because I couldn't find any in my stash. Ah! My stash let me down.... : )

No comments:

Post a Comment